Saturday, March 15, 2014

TAKING TIME TO SETTLE IN


Hello dear reader, I hope this finds you well. I am slowly settling in to my new life here in Adelaide. I have set up my workbench at the Jam Factory and have been playing around with making models to visualise my ideas in a three dimensional format. Will spend some time experimenting with the types of materials I would like to use and document some of this process here and on my facebook and instagram pages in the future. 

In the meantime I thought I'd share with you some images from a day out I had at the Art Gallery of South Australia. Dark Heart, the title of the Adelaide Biennial of Australian Art exhibition curated by Gallery Director Nick Mitzevich showcases some of Australia's better known contemporary artists "...delving into the darkness, to those places we seldom see...". 

I met this lovely woman on the bus the other day who is a member of the art gallery and an advocate for contemporary art (she would have to be in her eighties). She was praising the Director and his decisions over the last couple of years. When I took a stroll through the permanent collections I noticed many contemporary works side by side with historical pieces. I really like this juxtaposition and the idea of not separating genres and periods of art, in a way it forces those who are purely interested in traditional art to be exposed to something contemporary and vice versa. Perhaps this was something the new director implemented? 

Anyway, the images below are from one of my favourite artists, Ah Xian, a Chinese-Australian artist who has used the human figure in his work for many years. The text below was included in the exhibition.

"These eight bronze busts reference traditional Chinese appreciation of the alchemic qualities of minerals considered to transcend the material. They are inexorably linked to the spiritual and divine realms, while also alluding to the mining boom that has brought his two countries of residence into close association."

If you are in Adelaide or are thinking about making your way here definitely check out this exhibition and come and check out the Jam Factory while you are at it. 

Until next time dear reader, take care of you and yours. 




















1 comment:

  1. Adelaide??? --> Adelaide of Saxe-Meiningen (Adelaide Amelia Louise Theresa Caroline; 13 August 1792 – 2 December 1849) was the queen consort of the United Kingdom and of Hanover as spouse of William IV of the United Kingdom. Adelaide, the capital city of South Australia, is named after her.
    Adelaide was born on 13 August 1792 at Meiningen, Thuringia, Germany. Her father was George I, Duke of Saxe-Meiningen; and her mother was Luise Eleonore, daughter of Prince Christian of Hohenlohe-Langenburg.
    Hey, Hohenlohe-Langenburg, that's pretty close to the region where I live!!! So: Adelaide, your new centre of life is somehow the neighbour city to Bad Mergentheim, my home town, Sylvia!!! ;-)

    The bronze busts are great! Thanks for sharing them!

    Liebe Grüße aus dem sonnigen Deutschland, unweit von Hohenlohe-Langenburg, nach Adelaide!!!
    Uwe.

    ReplyDelete