Friday, May 31, 2013

ROCKIN' MAKER - DAVID CLARKE


I've known of David Clarke and his "readymade mashups" for quite a while. I have to say that I am a fan of his work. I like his sense of humour and the way he transforms traditional silverware into playful objects with a story. I was reading an article about him the other day and read that he certainly has had his fair share of detractors (don't we all). Some-one wrote him a letter in response to his work, I thought it was worth sharing (below). The source of the letter is from David's site here

Dear Mr. Clarke,

I’ve been looking at your work for some time now and I continue
to find it both appalling and bizarre that it has been allowed
into some of the most renowned galleries and silver collections
in the world. Is this intended to be some sort of joke? All you
seem to be able to do is take the work of other, much more highly
skilled makers than yourself and then mutilate it with obscure,
unnecessary additions. What a waste of silver! As if that wasn’t
bad enough, upon closer inspection and with further research it’s
become apparent that you actually contaminate your silver using
lead? Do you even understand how wasteful this is? Silver is a
precious, pure and beautiful material as it is. It is ‘makers’
like yourself who pollute the good name of many contemporary
silversmiths coming up with interesting, functional designs as
well as beautiful sculptural pieces. I simply do not understand
how you can be making any money from what you’re doing, though
I understand that you are employed as an educator as well, and
I suspect that this is your sole source of income.

May you either stop making altogether or start making real silverware.





limo





yea-ha





up the duff





feck off





u-turn



All photographs © David Clarke 2012, All Rights Reserved
via his site here

No comments:

Post a Comment