Wednesday, February 27, 2013

SOMETHING I MADE

I've been working on some small containers that disguise jewellery pieces. This one is made out of brass that I hand raised, which is not an easy feat, cause brass isn't really the go to metal for hand raising. Traditionally the metals to use are silver, copper or guilding metal. Brass is a lot harder to work,  but the finish suits me, so I was up for the challenge.

I can hear you asking the question, what is hand raising? Well I basically cut a large circle of brass and formed it using hammer strokes over wooden and metal stakes. It's lots of hammering and heating of the metal as it gets harder from the hammering, hitting it with the hammer, heating, etc, etc, until the the flat piece of metal is formed into the dish shape I want. Then I hammered three little feet on the bottom. The flat lid comes off to reveal the dish and the red resin top is actually a neckpiece that can be worn. 

I have another three pieces in brass that I am finishing off and then I will be experimenting with other materials for the containers. I will share those pieces with you as they leave my bench.

I hope that all is well with you dear reader and that you are finding some time in your life for creativity. 




'Contained Adornment' Sylvia Nevistic, 2013
Brass, silver, gold plate, resin 

No comments:

Post a Comment