Monday, February 4, 2013

SLOW AND STEADY


image via here


I have recently started riding my push bike again, after a long hiatus. I have been riding around my local lake, Lake Wendouree. I was thinking while I was riding in agony (my rear end feeling like it had gone through 5 rounds in the ring with Ali), and the lycra clad riders speeding past, how important it is to just keep peddling. No matter how much pain you are in or how many people are zooming past you in life, you just need to keep at your own pace, moving forward, no stopping, go down in gear if you have to, but just keep peddling. 

That old saying "slow and steady wins the race" is a mighty one, although I don't really like the race bit so much. I know that I have to keep reminding myself that whatever I am working on will get done, with or without the sleepless nights and chest pains. Making small incremental changes works better for me than making all mighty big ones. 

A lot of people don't like talking about how hard it is to make a living from what you love. It certainly has its upsides, but it's no easy 'ride' either. When you work for someone else, you can go to work, do your job and get a pay cheque at the end of it all. But, when you run your own business it is very hard to switch off, cause you might spend a great deal of time creating something that doesn't sell well or you don't get paid straight away for a job you do for someone, or you spend a whole day on a task that has to be done, but doesn't pay for itself, the income stream is sporadic to say the least. 

I think it is great that people out there in this beautiful world of ours are trying their hand at generating an income from a passion, because I would have it no other way. What I wish to say to all those out there who are feeling like they are peddling so hard to get up that hill and want to give up, don't,  just tell your brain to move those legs ever so slowly and keep the momentum going because eventually you will make it up that hill and the ride down will make it all worthwhile. 

Happy riding dear reader! 

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for your honest words and the chance to gain insight of some of your thoughts you dwell on every now and then. This might be the reason why I`m one of the guys working for a company (nevertheless: I found the niche I like and where I can be creative) and don't try to provide for my maintenance by taking photos for money. I like my work, but my passion photography is (nearly) free of any monetary burdes or obligations. I wish you a great, creative and prosperous 2013, dear Sylvia!
    Uwe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Uwe!

    Thanks for the kind words. I always enjoy hearing from you and reading your blog to see what you are up to. Keep those photographs coming!

    I wish you every joy and happiness for this new year as well.

    Sylvia



    ReplyDelete