Monday, November 19, 2012

MALCOLM KIRK - MAN AS ART - NEW GUINEA







All images copyright Malcolm Kirk and via his official website 

Text via Malcolm Kirk's website: "MAN AS ART: NEW GUINEA, Malcolm Kirk's large-format hardcover book, documenting the islanders’ visually stunning tribal body decorations and carved masks, was the culmination of 13-years of travel in that area of the South Pacific. It was first published in 1981 in the USA, the UK, France, Germany and Italy, and subsequently reprinted in a smaller, redesigned paperback edition. Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis, referring to the hardcover version, wrote that she considered it "one of the most beautiful books I have seen in my life.""

2 comments:

  1. Impressive and proud personalities, although they look a bit different from people I know in my familiar surroundings... ;-)
    Uwe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too haven't experienced such decorated peoples in my neighbourhood, but would love to hang out in Papua with them and learn their skills in decorating their bodies...the colours are amazing!

    Speaking of familiar surroundings...I will be heading to your part of the world next year! My mother and I are planning a trip to Germany and Italy...We might visit your home town, you never know...

    All the very best Uwe..

    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete