Wednesday, December 14, 2011

STREET ART AND ROA



I love street art. There is something about the impermanence of it all that makes it that little bit more precious to me. I'm not talking about tagging on walls, I am talking about well thought out pieces of work that stop you in your tracks. Those pieces that make you smile on a day that you are feeling a little under the weather. The other thing that I dig about street art is that it is generally done in secret, at the dead of night. When you and I are tucked up in bed, someone out there is risking getting caught and sometimes getting a police record just to express their thoughts in images on a wall. 

I have always wanted to have the gumption to do something bold like street art, but have never had the opportunity or more to the point, the backbone to do it. I went to the doctors a few weeks ago and when I was in the waiting room reading a magazine, I thought I might write a note and leave it in the Vogue magazine for the next person to see. My heart started to race a little as I pulled a piece of paper out of my bag and wrote "hey there - get well soon" on it and shoved it into the magazine just as my doctor called me up. It's not exactly street art or art by any means, but illustrates to you, dear reader that I am just too jumpy to attempt something as big as painting on a public wall.       






































 W.A.




 W.A.




 W.A.




 W.A.




W.A.




ROA is one of my favourite street artists. He has a show on at SKALITZERS in Perth at the moment called PARADOX. The images above are from HERE. The images above in Gambia are by Jonx Pillemer, other than the giraffe image, which is by Sydelle Willow Smith. The images taken in W.A. are courtesy of EPCAD and FORM. 





No comments:

Post a Comment