Friday, October 7, 2011

LONG TIME NO POST


Well it certainly has been some time since I last posted something...If some-one out there is reading what I write, then hello and sorry it's been a while...This year has been exhausting, overwhelming at times and challenging...I have gone back to university full time to further my studies in teaching and am pleased that it is all coming to an end soon (2 months to go)...This course is an 18 month course squished into about 10 months...I have barely had time to run jewellery classes or sit at the bench to make things...So to pep myself up a bit I booked in to do a jewellery workshop for myself in Melbourne yesterday...
It was a fabulous day!!!! Anyone in the jewellery business would know the instructor...Tim McCreight...When I first started jewellery making 14 years ago, I bought his famous book "The Complete Metalsmith"(like a die hard fan, I got him to sign it yesterday)...It's a book I go back to often...
Anyway, Tim would have to be one of the most generous people I have met in the jewellery game...so happy to pass on what he knows to others...A great deal of artisans are tight lipped about their techniques and I think too scared to pass their skills on to others in case someone copies them or something...I think that if someone tries to copy what you do...it's a form of flattery...but they will never do it like you do anyway...so why worry too much...there are more important things to worry about in this life...
So, I was very happy to have had the opportunity not only to have met Tim, but to have learnt something new from him too...Wish I could have had time to get to his lecture tonight...but had to head back to 'the rat'...Anyway, I am determined to make more time for me and my creative pursuits...so stay tuned for more frequent posts in the future...


a blurry photo of Tim and I









Tim in action


2 comments:

  1. Hi Sylvia - long time - no communication between Australia and Germany!

    Great to read you found some inspiration during your jewellery workshop with Tim. And obviously your studies will draw to a close at the end of 2011. Take a loo paper roll, hold it in front of one of your eyes, close the other eye and look through it in direction of an incandescent light source...
    ...and you'll immediately see a light at the end of the tunnel!!!

    ;-))

    Have a great start in your Australian summer!

    November (= autumnal) bloke Uwe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Uwe!!!

    The light is getting brighter every day! I hope that you are keeping well. Sorry, but I have not had much time to keep in touch with anyone...but now I have only 4 more days left and then I will have my teaching qualifications...so I can get back to normal again...

    I wish you and your family every joy and happiness for this Christmas season and hope that the adventures you are part of in the new year bring you much happiness...

    Frohe Weihnachten

    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete