Friday, January 7, 2011

IGNORANCE CERTAINLY ISN'T BLISS




Well I am back from my mini break away...the shot above is from the lovely Blue Mountains...

I wanted to write about something that I suppose I have not been paying enough attention to...something I think many people (including me) take for granted...their health...I have not been all that well for most of 2010...I have this great thing called Hashimotos Disease ...it's an auto immune disease that affects the thyroid gland...the gland doesn't produce enough thryoid hormone eventually if left untreated the gland doesn't produce ANY hormone and you can go into a coma and drop dead...(mind you...according the endocronlogist I saw, this can take some time)...You get some really crazy symptoms...lots of inflammation in the body, gain weight, constant sore throats, you get tired and I mean like you need to sleep all day every day, strange rashes that pop up out of nowhere and lots more...

Anyway I have been taking my thyroxine tablets like a good girl and going about my business...but when I was on my little break away something happened that made me realise that I need to be more pro-active with my health and make it a priority...We were staying at a hotel that had a pool...so while my partner was busy looking at the underside of his eyelids I went for a swim...the pool wasn't heated...it was freezing...but it felt great! I swam for about half an hour and then headed back to our room for breakfast...by the time I got back to the room my whole body was covered in hives and I mean covered...then I started shaking and couldn't stand up...my heart was racing and I was short of breath...this lasted for about half an hour...the shaking lasted for about an hour...mind you...I didn't go to the hospital...I felt exhausted the rest of the day...but was okay and didn't want to make a fuss...stupid me...I saw my doctor the other day and she said I have cold urticaria and that I should of called an ambulance...cause it can be fatal...this is just another thing related to my autoimmune condition...

Why do I write all this...well its not to get sympathy...its to remind me as well as you that we are not indestructible...I spent so much of the last few years working so hard with my jewellery business that I neglected everything else including my health...we go along our days pushing our bodies to their limits and it takes a bit of a scare to get us back on track....

So I endeavor to be kinder to myself, to take control of healing my body and I hope that you will be kinder to yourselves also this coming year..

Take care...


2 comments:

  1. I also have had thyroid problems - which spanned over about 10 years of my life and now I have no thyroid and am on thyroxine...I still feel I really don't know much about it but just like you I try to look after myself and be kinder to my body. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Katie Jayne,

    Yeah..a lot of women have thyroid problems...As you would know...you just kind of get on with it...don't you...Well we have 2 things in common...the jewellery stuff is definitely more exciting...don't you think?...Enjoying reading your blog on your jewellery adventures...Take it easy..

    ReplyDelete